Sunday, June 03, 2007

El Mirage Dry lake Bed

My friend Ray invited me to join him and his son at El Mirage dry lake bed and OHV area. This is in the high desert north and east of Los Angeles. The elevation is about 4,000 feet but it is the desert so the daytime temperatures were about 95. Saturday evening was cool for excellent sleeping in Ray's motor home. I did a few excursions on one of Ray's dirt bikes. Also in the group was Greg Smith and Ray Reibling from NDT Systems where I worked back in the early 90's. I helped get my friend Ray (Bowman) a job there. So, Greg and I did an excursion on a couple of ATVs. No pics of the ATVs but we did some steep hill climbing that was lots of fun. Click on pictures to enlarge.

Dry lake in background

6 comments:

. said...

Looks like fun!

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I'm not so sure that's you...I mean, DAD on a motor bike????

-M

Anonymous said...

Let it be noted that John broke the golden rule in the desert. Never leave your buddy in the middle of BFE!!! John it will be awhile before I go out for a ride with you again. Either one of us could of easily been eaten by hungry wolves. I hope it was a lesson learned.

John Rumbold said...

That is indeed me on the motorbike. You should have seen me climbing steep hills on the ATV. That was a sight to see also. What you don't know is that when I was a teenager I had a friend with a 125 Ducati and I drove it all over Connecticut.

And, I didn't break any golden rule. I stopped to water a bush and Ray took off towards the hills without telling me where he was going - tere's some king of rule infraction there. When the bush was sufficiently aquified, I took of in the direction of the hills and at the base of the hill Ray was nowhere in sight. I waited 27.5 seconds and then I headed back. Ray caught up with me and zomed past me at close range and sprayed me with stones - there's another rule infringed.

. said...

pics of you on Ducati??

-A

Unknown said...

I had no idea you were cool! You timed yourself while you were waiting? By the way, anyone want to buy me a moto for a christmas present?????