Saturday, January 12, 2008

Another Old Friend Passes On

I bought my HP Laserjet 4L printer in 1994 for $600. It was a major purchase but it has served me well with thousands of pages printed. I have repaired it several times over the years and parts are readily available on the internet. Recently it starting giving me trouble and after about 4 hours of work on it, I was unsuccessful in getting it back to life. I have been wanting to get a new printer anyway since the 4L only does 4 ppm. So, for $160 I bought a new Dell 1720 Laser printer that prints 27 ppm. This is about the only printer available that has a parallel port that I can connect to my printer server.

Old ........................................................................................... New

3 comments:

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

parallel port? time to get upgraded on that!

John Rumbold said...

Ok, here's the deal. My print server (bought in 2006 so it is modern) has two parallel and one USB port. I have another ink jet USB printer. Therefore, I would have had to buy another print server. And, there are not many print servers made with more than one USB port. Then I would have to have two print servers and they would probably conflict on one network.

Unknown said...

New chair, new printer. When will this madness stop?